I adore the old fashioned lollipops that I had growing up and knew I had to figure out how to make them for myself (and maybe some for the kids). After 2 failed attempts, third time was a charm, so now I am here to share all the secrets I had to learn along the way (including to not trust a new candy thermometer, the first two batches got burnt!).
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1 dram (or teaspoon) of flavoring (I used watermelon)
1/4 teaspoon of food coloring
RELIABLE thermometer (I ended up not using it the last time and made my best batch!)
Hard Candy Molds
1. Make sure you have all your items ready to go before you get started! Read all directions so you know you're ready!
2. Lay out all the molds you are using. Spray them with Pam or grease with vegetable oil. Lay out the lollipop sticks.
3. Mix sugar, corn syrup, and water in a large sauce pan.
4. Stir for about 5 minutes over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
5. Stop stirring and let the mixture boil on medium high heat. Keep boiling until the mixture is an amber color. You can dip a spoon into mixture then into ice water. If the mixture hardens as hard as a lollipop (I never hear anyone say sucker anymore) then it is ready to come off the heat. (My thermometer did not work the first 2 times and did not get past 250 degrees, but other recipes call for the mixture to reach either 290 degree Fahrenheit or 300 degrees Fahrenheit.) Using the ice water worked best for me.
6. As soon as the mixture comes off of the burner, put in your food coloring. When it stops boiling, carefully put in the flavoring and stir (will get steamy when you add these things!).
7. Carefully pour into your greased molds. Let sit for about 30 minutes then take your great lollipops out of the mold and enjoy!
8. For easy clean up of pots and utensils used, let soak in super hot water!
7 hours ago