- Distance from our house (had to be within a 2 hour driving distance)
- Family friendliness
|This last one sure had a rough life!|
When it was time to line up and board the train something had happened to prevent us from getting on at the right time. It was a hot day, and finally after standing out in the hot sun, it was a nice surprise to get in the train car and get hit with some nice, refreshing air-conditioning.
We got out of the small town of New Haven quickly and started to see some nice country and some houses here and there. On the way, there were people dressed up in period clothing, talking to the passengers and having a good time with everyone. We stopped at a small store halfway through so the train could go and get turned around and everyone could enjoy some refreshments. The kids were starting to get antsy about seeing some robbers by this time! We hopped back on the train, picking a different train car since each were a little different. The kids were staring out the window (very dingy and hard to see out of windows), waiting for what promised to be a crazy time!
Finally, there were some loud popping outside! It was showtime! (Sorry for the following photo, this is the best I could get out of the windows).
The robbers came in and started demanding money (though they very quickly mentioned it was actually going to a certain charity). The kids had their dollars ready to give. It was a good little show and made the train ride that was special in itself even more so.
- Train Robbery
- Day out with Thomas the Train
- Christmas Train
- Mystery Theatre
Kentucky Railway Museum Pros:
- Not many places offer train rides that really take you back in time!
- Different events throughout the year.
- Air conditioned, great during the summer months!
- Train cars need some renovating.
- Windows are a little tough to see out of.
- Museum in the station was a lot smaller than expected.
- If you are going in the hot summer months and not doing the dining event, bring some snacks and water.
- Check online at http://www.kyrail.org/ for dates and times the trains are heading out.