- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes (drain a little bit of the juice as this recipes becomes very soupy as it cooks in the crock pot)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 14.5 oz chicken broth
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce ( I used Tabasco sauce)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (I used Ragin' Cajun Fixin's All Purpose Cajun Seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails (I just pulled mine off after defrosting)
- 14 oz turkey kielbasa sausage sliced (or sausage of your choice!)
- Mix the following ingredients in the crock pot: chicken, diced tomatoes, onion, green bell pepper, celery, broth, garlic, hot sauce, oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, thyme. Place in the 2 bay leaves. IF YOUR SAUSAGE IS NOT PRE-COOKED, ALSO INCLUDE THE SAUSAGE AT THIS TIME!
- Crock pots differ in time, my low setting cooks quickly. If you feel yours cooks slow or fast, please adjust. For the basic recipe, time it to be about 7-8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high (mine actually cooks on low in about 6 hours, so use your gut and just make sure that chicken is cooked!).
- During the last 45 minutes of cook time, take out the bay leaves and stir in the shrimp and sausage (if you did not include the sausage at the beginning of the recipe). Since I used a simple turkey sausage that is pre-cooked, the last 45 minutes is fine.
- Cook your rice separately and place the crock pot mix on top of your rice. Add as much juice from the crock pot as you like (it turns out a little soupy after cooking).
|The Cajun seasoning I used.|
|The mixture in Step 1 before cooking.|
|After cooking and adding the sausage and shrimp.|
|Mixture with juice drained sitting on top of rice.|