Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Easy Crock Pot Jambalaya Recipe

Okay, so it is not authentic Jambalaya, but it still tastes pretty darn good!  I could not help but keep going for seconds!  Be sure to use the sausage of your choice, the good sausage that you can get in Louisiana is not necessarily something you find regularly in Kentucky, but I ended up using turkey sausage since I am trying to watch my waistline.  It was not as great with the turkey sausage, I was craving more taste from the sausage, but something to consider if you are watching calorie intake, or choose the sausage that you love (perhaps andouille sausage if it is something you can find easily?).  I also recommend cooking the rice separately, I can never get the rice correct when making it in the crock pot!  This recipe is not too spicy to me, but it does have a little kick to it.  Adjust the hot sauce and spices to suit your taste!

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes (drain a little bit of the juice as this recipes becomes very soupy as it cooks in the crock pot)
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 1 large green bell pepper chopped
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 14.5 oz chicken broth
  • 2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce ( I used Tabasco sauce)
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (I used Ragin' Cajun Fixin's All Purpose Cajun Seasoning)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails (I just pulled mine off after defrosting)
  • 14 oz turkey kielbasa sausage sliced (or sausage of your choice!)
Directions:
  1. Mix the following ingredients in the crock pot: chicken, diced tomatoes, onion, green bell pepper, celery, broth, garlic, hot sauce, oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, thyme.  Place in the 2 bay leaves.  IF YOUR SAUSAGE IS NOT PRE-COOKED, ALSO INCLUDE THE SAUSAGE AT THIS TIME!
  2. Crock pots differ in time, my low setting cooks quickly.  If you feel yours cooks slow or fast, please adjust.  For the basic recipe, time it to be about 7-8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high (mine actually cooks on low in about 6 hours, so use your gut and just make sure that chicken is cooked!). 
  3. During the last 45 minutes of cook time, take out the bay leaves and stir in the shrimp and sausage (if you did not include the sausage at the beginning of the recipe).  Since I used a simple turkey sausage that is pre-cooked, the last 45 minutes is fine. 
  4. Cook your rice separately and place the crock pot mix on top of your rice.  Add as much juice from the crock pot as you like (it turns out a little soupy after cooking).
The Cajun seasoning I used.

The mixture in Step 1 before cooking.

After cooking and adding the sausage and shrimp.

Mixture with juice drained sitting on top of rice.

2 comments:

  1. I first had Jambalaya in New Orleans - where else?! I became quite obsessed, I might add, and I kinda want to take the plunge and make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try some of the real stuff!! Hopefully I can make a trip to New Orleans in the future!

      Delete

 

©2009 All Rights Reserved | Template and Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations