Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala

I love Chicken Tikka Masala, especially at a particular restaurant close to me.  But with trying to eat out less, I have been trying to perfect some of my favorite dishes at home (and I love my crock pot and try to use it at least one time a week).  Though this is not exactly like my fave dish at my fave Indian restaurant, it is still pretty darn good!

Ingredients:
  • 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1"-2" cubes
  • 1-2 green bell peppers cut into long strips (I had forgotten this so that is why peppers are not in the photos below!)
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 28 oz. can tomato puree
  • 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons ginger
  • 2 tablespoons Garam Masala
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 tablespoon paprika
  • 1-2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you would like the dish)
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons corn starch
  • Cooked rice
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, mix together chicken, bell peppers, onion,  garlic, tomato puree, yogurt, olive oil, ginger, Garam Masala, cumin, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and black pepper.  Make sure there is an even color throughout showing it is all mixed well.
  2. Spray your crock pot dish with Pam spray.  Pour mixture into the crock pot and then add your 2 bay leaves .
  3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.  During the last 30 minutes of cooking, follow directions from step 4 below after removing the bay leaves.
  4. Blend together the heavy cream and corn starch. Add the mixture to the crock pot, ensuring that it is mixed well and the color in the crock pot is consistent.  Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
  5. Serve over cooked rice (I prefer brown rice).

Mixture after pouring into the crock pot, before cooking.
After cooking and adding the heavy cream and cornstarch mixture.
Serve over rice!



2 comments:

  1. Chanda, this is one of my favorites! I can't wait to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am a crock pot junkie =) Hope you like this recipe!

      Delete

 

©2009 All Rights Reserved | Template and Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations